Are you participating in the 2023 UTME? If yes, then that means you are among those that are searching online for the 2023 JAMB Commerce Syllabus for the UTME Examination! Many people keep searching online for the JAMB Syllabus for Commerce.
Well, you need not search anymore because you have finally arrived on the right page! Teezab.com.ng will always give you the best and correct information!
The syllabus is the easiest and convenient way to get relevant information regarding each subject’s Objectives, Topics, Contents, Notes, and Recommended Textbooks.
See JAMB Subject Combination for all courses here!
I believe you are a smart one and that is why you are searching for the JAMB 2023 Commerce Syllabus for the UTME! So, be calm and read through!! Do not skip any part of this post as every single part of this post is essential for you to know if you wish to score high in this year’s UTME!
Well, without wasting much of your time, let’s dive into the real deal here! Here, you will find the JAMB Syllabus for Commerce! Read through this post and you can also download the PDF!
Also, try to bookmark this page so you won’t miss out on any update!
You can also subscribe to our website by entering your email and clicking on subscribe button below! We will notify you anytime there is a new update!
JAMB Commerce Syllabus for 2023/2024 UTME [Read & Download PDF]
This is to Inform the general public most especially those that are going to participate in the 2023 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination UTME that the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board JAMB has released the syllabus for Commerce for the 2023 UTME.
Hope you’ve checked the Subject Combination for your course? If not, please scroll up and check! It is very important so as not to choose wrongly because it might later affect you!
Are you having trouble finding the JAMB accredited CBT Centres near you? Click here to view accredited JAMB CBT Centres in all 36 states in Nigeria and the FCT!
JAMB Commerce Syllabus for 2023 UTME
Try to get to the bottom of this post to see the JAMB recommended Textbook for Commerce! Get a Textbook and read! Also, try to make sure you practice JAMB Past Questions so as to familiarize yourself with the way JAMB sets questions! Hope you are noting those tips on how to get a high score in JAMB? YES! I know you are very smart!!!
JAMB Commerce Syllabus 2023/2024 General Objective
The aim of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) syllabus in Commerce is to prepare the candidates for the Board’s examination. It is designed to test their achievement of the course objectives, which are to:
- Acquire the basic concepts of Commerce;
- Examine the relationship between Commerce and other related business subjects;
- Apply the principles of Commerce in Nigeria;
- Appreciate modern, dynamic, and positive changes in commercial activities.
JAMB Syllabus for Commerce 2023/2024
(ii) Types (industrial, commercial, and services)
(ii) Factors, characteristics, and rewards (land, labour, capital, and entrepreneur)
(iii) Division of Labour
(v) Types (primary, secondary and tertiary)
(a). Home Trade
(i) Retail trade
– types of retailers
– functions of retailers
– trends in retailing (branding, self-service, vending machines, the use of luncheon and fuel vouchers)
– advantages and disadvantages of retailers
(ii) Wholesale trade
– Types of wholesalers (merchant, agent, and general)
– Functions of wholesalers
– Advantages and disadvantages of wholesalers
(b). Foreign trade
(i) Basic issues in foreign trade (balance of trade visible and invisible, balance of payments and counter trade)
(ii) Procedures and documents used in export, import, and entrepot trade
(iii) Barriers to international trade.
5. Purchase and Sales of Goods
(i) Procedure and documentation (enquiry, quotation, order, invoice, proforma invoice, statement of accounts, indent, consular invoice, bill of lading, certificate of origin, consignment note, etc)
(ii) Terms of trade (trade discount, quantity discount, cash discount, warranties, C.O.D., C.I.F., F.O.B., and E.O.E.)
(iii) Terms of payments
a. Cash – Legal tender
– Types and functions
– Merits and demerits
(i) Types and media
(ii) Advantages and disadvantages
(i) Types of banks
(iv) Merits and demerits
(iii) Advantages and disadvantages
(iv) Regulatory agencies
7. Business Units
(i) Forms of ownership
(iii) Registration of businesses
(iv) Business Mergers
(v) Determination of choice of business units
(vi) Dissolution and liquidation of businesses
8. Financing Business
(i) Sources of finance (personal savings, sale of shares and bonds, loans, debentures, mortgage, bank overdraft, ploughing back of profit, credit purchase, leasing
(ii) Problems of sourcing finance
(iii) Types of capital (share capital, capital owned, authorized (registered or nominal) capital, issued capital, called-up capital, paid-up capital, liquid capital, working capital and owners’ equity)
(iv) Calculation of forms of capital, profits (gross and net) and turnover
(v) Bureaux de change
9. Trade Associations
(i) Objectives and functions of trade associations (e.g. Cocoa Farmers’ Association, Garri Sellers’ Association, Poultry Farmers’ Association)
(ii) Objectives and functions of consumer association (e.g. thrift, credit and loans)
(iii) Objectives and functions of Chambers of Commerce (e.g. NACCIMA)
11. Stock Exchange
(i) Importance and functions
(ii) Procedure of transactions and speculations
(iii) Types of securities (stocks, shares, bonds, debentures, etc)
(iv) Second-Tier Securities Market (STSM), listing requirements, types of companies for the market, advantages and operating regulations of the market.
12. Elements of Business Management
(i) Functions (planning, organizing, staffing, coordinating, motivating, communicating and controlling)
(ii) Principles (span of control, unity of command, delegation of authority, etc)
(iii) Organizational structure (line, line and staff, functional, matrix and committee)
(iv) Functional areas of business (production, marketing, finance and personnel)
13. Elements of Marketing
(i) Functions and Importance
(ii) The marketing concept (consumer orientation, customer satisfaction and integrated marketing)
(iii) Marketing mix (product, price, place (distribution and promotion)
(iv) Market Segmentation
(v) Customer Service.
14. Legal Aspects of Business
(i) Meaning and validity of a simple contract
(ii) Contract Agency, Sale of Goods Acts and Hire Purchase Act
(iii) Rights and obligations of employer and employee
(iv) Government regulations of business – registration of business, patents, trade marks and copyrights
(v) Consumer protection – need for, and means of protection (Government legislation, Foods and Drugs Act, Standards Organization Act, Trade Descriptions Act, Consumer Association, Consumer Protection Council, NAFDAC, NDLEA, Customs and Excise, etc.)
15. Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
(iv) Advantages and disadvantages
(b). Terms (Internet, Intranet, browsing, password, e-mail, google, yahoo, search, cyber café, Local Area Network, etc.)
16. Business Environment and Social Responsibility
(i) Legal, political, economic, social, cultural, technological environment, etc
(ii) Safe products, philanthropic and social environment and societal consideration
(iii) Types of pollution (water, air and land) and their implications.
JAMB Commerce Syllabus 2023/2024 Recommended Textbook
- Anderson, D. J. (1978). Commerce for West Africa, London: Macmillan.
- Ahukannah, L. I. names(s)? (1992). Commerce for Secondary Schools
- Onitsha: Africana – First Publishers.
- Asaolu, A. and Igwe, P. M. (2005). New Syllabus Commerce for Secondary Schools
- Books 1 – 3 (Second Edition) Ibadan: Evans.
- Babatunde, A. H. (1999). Handbook on Commerce for Schools and College,
- (First Edition), Global Publications.
- Eriki, P. O. (1998). Working with Computer, Benin: Bofic Publishers.
- French, C. S. (2000). Computer Science, (Fifth Edition), Britain: Ashford.
- Ibru, G. M. (2004). Nigeria: The Promise of Tourism, Lagos: G.S.L. Publishing Limited.
- Igwe, P. M. names(s)? (2004). Countdown to WASSCE/SSCE/NECO/JME Commerce, Ibadan: Evans.
- James, A. F, names(s)? (1996). Management, (Sixth Edition), New Delhi: Prentice Hall).
- Nwachukwu, C. C. (1999). Management Theory and Practice, Onitsha: Africana – FIRST Publishers.
- Odedokun, M. Onames(s)? (1999). Commerce for Senior Secondary School, Books 1 – 3, Lagos:
- Odoom, F. F. (1998). Commerce for Senior Secondary School, Books 1 – 3, Ibadan: Onibonoje.
- Onifade, A. (2001). Management: Office Business Education, Abeokuta: KAPPCO.
- Onifade, A. (2002). The Computer for Word Processing and Internet, Abeokuta: KAPPCO.
- Onu, A. J. C. (2000). Marketing Today, Abuja: Precious Treasures Ltd.
- Pallister, J. and Isaacs, A. (eds) (2002). A Dictionary of Business (Third Edition), Oxford:
- Oxford University Press.
- Wisdomline Pass at Once JAMB.
Are you interested in Physics Jamb past Questions and answers with full explanation? Click here to practice and discuss!
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD JAMB SYLLABUS FOR COMMERCE PDF
CLICK HERE FOR JAMB SYLLABUS (OTHER SUBJECTS)
If you find this post – JAMB Syllabus 2023 UTME for Commerce – helpful and informative, kindly use the share button below to share with your friends!
If you have any question to ask, please feel free to drop it in the comment box below! I will make sure to reply you as soon as possible and I will also try my best to give you a reply that will be satisfactory!
Follow our Facebook page and we will keep you updated! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our website by entering your email and clicking the subscribe button below!
His Name is Tiamiyu Abdulbazeet Olawale. He is a student at the University of Ilorin studying Electrical and Electronics Engineering. He likes to give the latest updates about Nigeria and international institutions as he aims at helping people to lay their hands on the right information.
1 thought on “JAMB Syllabus For Commerce 2023/2024 [Read & Download PDF]”
Assistance for jamb CBT