After the recent protest by the medical student of Benue State University at the State Government House, the school Management Authorities has frowned upon the actions of the students and has gone further to suspend them for one month.
The Management Committee of the University revealed this in a memo which was released on Monday 30th October 2023.
It stated that they have reviewed the recent actions of its 200 to 600 level students and has also carefully reviewed the reports from the Dean of students affairs, the Coordinator of Security and Resolutions that arose from the meeting between the management committee and Academic Staff of the College of Health Sciences Regarding the Students demonstration of Wednesday 25th October 2023.
In the released memo The Management Committee also noted with dismay the recalcitrant attitude of these medical students before, during and after the demonstration and resolved to discipline them as a way of correcting them and curbing any vices they have up their sleeves.
The disciplinary conditions are as follows:
- The Management Committee will constitute an investigation committee to look into the remote and immediate causes of the demonstration and advice as appropriate.
- The Top Management Committee of the College of Health Science is hereby directed to to implement the resolutions of the Reports of the various committees on the students demonstration.
- All 200 to 600 Level Medical Students of the College of Health Sciences should proceed on one (1) month suspension with effect from 8:00am on Monday 30th October 2023 and should resume on Wednesday 29th November, 2023.
- On resumption, each student should bring a sworn Affidavit from a competent Court of Law attesting to be of good conduct. Each student should also come along with his/her Parent/Guardian who will sign an undertaking.
- The Benue State University Medical Students Association (BESUMSA) has been suspended with immediate effect till further notice.
- 200 to 600 Level Medical Students are hereby directed to vacate their hostels by 10:00am on Monday 30th October 2023.
In the released memo it stated that the Academic activities of 100 Level Students of the College of Health Sciences remain uninterrupted.
All Staff, University Community and the General Public were notified of the suspension.
This memo which was passed across the students was signed by the Registrar Dr. Mrs. Mfaga Modom.