Situated in the heart of Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria, Benue State University (BSUM) is a state-owned institution established by the Benue State Government through the Benue State University Edict No. 1 of 1991. Opening its doors for the first time in the 1992/93 academic year, BSUM has consistently set a benchmark for academic excellence.
As one of Nigeria’s renowned state universities, BSUM was brought into existence by the visionary Benue State Government. This academic beacon was aimed at providing high-quality tertiary education to the denizens of Benue and beyond. The initiation in the 1992/93 academic year marks the university’s commitment to upholding academic brilliance and producing graduates equipped with skills tailored for the modern world.
BSUM’s Admission Threshold for 2023/2024
In another article published earlier, we duly informed aspirants about the forthcoming admission screening exercise scheduled to hold from Friday 3rd November till Saturday 2nd December 2023.
In today’s article we’ll be breaking down all you need to know about the cut off mark required for Benue State University, The requirements for both Direct entry and Post UTME applications, The hostel fees and steps to guide you in applying for either one of your choice.
For the forthcoming 2023/2024 academic session, the university’s management has unveiled the expected cut-off mark for prospective students.
Key Points about BSUM’s Cut-Off Mark:
- The baseline cut-off mark for prospective students of BSUM is set at 150 points.
- Applicants aiming for programmes such as Medicine & Surgery, Law, Nursing, Radiography & Radiation Science, and Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science need to secure a higher threshold of 220 points and above in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
- However, there’s a silver lining for candidates who may not have met the desired cut-off for specific programmes:
- Those who applied for Law but achieved scores between 150 and 219 may still find opportunities in faculties such as Arts, Social Sciences, or Education.
- Candidates with aspirations for Medicine & Surgery, Nursing Science, B.Sc. Radiography and Radiation Science, and Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS) in the esteemed College of Health Sciences, yet garnered scores between 150 and 199, can consider venturing into related disciplines like Anatomy, Physiology, or other allied Sciences programmes.
Before diving into the application process, it’s important to confirm one’s eligibility. Direct Entry candidates seeking admission into BSUM’s degree programmes for the stipulated academic session are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for BSUM Direct Entry Screening
A. Making the Payment
- Begin by visiting the official university website: www.bsum.Dey.ng.
- Navigate to the Admissions menu and select the Post UTME/DE link under the Applications section.
- Enter your JAMB number for verification.
- After verifying your details, click on the “proceed” link to advance to the payment platform.
- Choose one of the three available payment options:
- Bank Cash Payments
- Banks nationwide offer this service. Some of the major banks include:
- Access Bank Plc, Fidelity Bank Plc, Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, and First Bank of Nigeria Plc, among others.
- Before visiting the bank, ensure you print the Payment Reference Number slip from the E-Payment Platform.
- Upon payment, the bank will issue a receipt using the “College Pay” system.
- Online Payments
- Opt for the “Pay Online” button.
- You will be redirected to the Interswitch Payment Page. Choose your card type and fill in the necessary details.
- After a successful transaction, a receipt will be generated.
- ATM Payments
- Visit any ATM terminal.
- Select Quickteller > pay bills.
- When prompted, input the Payment Reference Number and the Payment Code 04255101
- Complete the transaction and retain the receipt.
- Quickteller Internet Payment
- Access the Quickteller website. Those applying for courses in the College of Health Sciences should visit this link.
- Input your registration number, email, and mobile number, and proceed as instructed.
Note: The Quickteller option has an additional fee of N100.00.
B. Completing the Registration
- Return to the university web and select “Post UTME/DE” in the Applications segment.
- Using your DIRECT ENTRY Registration number, login.
- Proceed to fill in your Biodata and upload necessary documents, including:
- WAEC/NECO/NABTEB and A’ level Certificates.
- Birth Certificate or Declaration of age.
- State of Origin Certificate.
- JAMB Direct Entry slip.
- Print two copies of the “Acknowledgement Slip”.
- It’s crucial to present the Acknowledgement Slips on the Direct Entry screening day.
- Lastly, ensure your O’level results are uploaded on the JAMB Portal. Only candidates with results on the JAMB portal will be considered post-screening.
Key Dates to Remember
- Registration commencement: Friday, 3rd November 2022
- Registration closes: Saturday, 2nd December 2023
How do I apply for BSUM’s Post UTME for the 2023/2024 academic year?”
Eligibility Criteria for BSUM Post UTME
Before diving into the application procedure, it’s crucial to understand whether one is eligible. Here are the key points:
- Candidates need to score 150 points and above in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) to be eligible for most programmes. However, high-demand courses like Medicine & Surgery, Law, Nursing, Radiography & Radiation Science, and Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science require a higher benchmark of 220 points and above.
- Students who initially did not earmark BSUM as their first-choice institution but now wish to join this esteemed university can effect a change of institution through the JAMB Portal, provided they meet the score requirements mentioned above.
Note: Applicants for Law with scores between 150 and 219 can explore other programmes within the faculties of Arts, Social Sciences, or Education. Similarly, those eyeing Medicine & Surgery, Nursing Science, B.Sc. Radiography, Radiation Science, or Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS) and have scores between 150 and 219 have alternative avenues in Anatomy, Physiology, and other related Sciences.
How to Apply for BSUM’s Post UTME Form
A: Securing Your Payment
Begin by visiting the official university website: www.bsum.edu.ng.
Navigate to the Admissions menu. Under the Applications section, select the Post UTME/DE link.
- Key in your JAMB number for application verification.
- After verification, proceed to the payment platform.
Payment can be made through various avenues:
- Bank Payment: For those preferring an in-person transaction, visit any of the numerous partnered banks nationwide, such as Access Bank, Zenith Bank, Guaranty Trust Bank, and many others. Remember to print your Payment Reference Number slip from the E-Payment Platform and present it at the bank.
- Online Payment: Leveraging cards like Mastercard, VISA, and Verve, one can make payments online. Following a successful transaction, a receipt will be generated.
- ATM Payment: Available at any ATM terminal, select Quickteller and follow the prompts using the Payment reference Number from the E-Payment platform.
- Quickteller Online Payment: Transactions can also be carried out on the Quickteller website. However, this mode has an additional fee of N100.00.
B: Registration Process
Post-payment, the next phase involves:
- Revisiting www.bsum.edu.ng and selecting the Post UTME/DE link under the Applications section.
- Verify your details using your UTME Registration number.
- Once logged in, complete your Biodata and upload necessary credentials like WAEC/NECO/NABTEB certificates, Birth Certificate, JAMB Result slip, and others.
- Print two copies of the Acknowledgement Slip, which is mandatory for the Post UTME day.
- Ensure your O’level results are uploaded on the JAMB portal. Only candidates with results on the JAMB portal will be considered for admission post the mandatory exams.
BSUM HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION FEE 2023/2024 ACADEMIC SESSION
Below is the hostel accommodation fees for all hostels in BSUM. The hostel accommodation is for both fresh and returning students for both 2023/2024 academic session.
The Hostel accommodation fees is between 10,000 to 15,000 per student.
Note: BSUM bed space allocation will be on “First Come First Serve” basis.as hostels accommodation is limited. With this, fresh students are required to stay within the school premises while applying for a hostel space.
HOSTEL ACCOMMODATION GUIDELINES
1. Only students who have paid fees, registered and paid hostel Application fee for 2020/2021 are eligible to apply for Hostel accommodation
2. To apply for Hostel accommodation click on “Hostel Application” under Students Operations menu in the student portal account
3. On the Hostel Reservation Page Details, select your preferred Hostel and click on “Apply Now”
4. Confirm your Hostel Reservation Details and “Submit”
5. Confirm your Hostel Reservation Details and proceed to make payment for the Hostel accommodation. Note: Failure to pay accommodation fee within 24hours, nullifies this reservation.
6. Print The Hostel Allocation Slip (2 copies) and proceed to Students Affairs Division for documentation.
It’s evident that while BSUM maintains high standards, it also offers flexibility, ensuring that students’ dreams aren’t entirely curtailed by the hurdles of a single examination.
Prospective students are urged to adhere to the guidelines and ensure all necessary documents are provided. BSUM looks forward to welcoming successful candidates for the new academic session.
In summary, securing a spot at BSUM requires diligence and dedication. Prospective students should be well-prepared and focused on their goals. Congratulations in advance to all candidates aiming for this prestigious institution, and here’s to a successful 2023/2024 academic journey at Benue State University, Makurdi!