Are you participating in the 2023 UTME? If yes, then that means you are among those that are searching online for the 2023 JAMB Use of English Syllabus for the UTME Examination! Many people keep searching online for the JAMB Syllabus for Use of English.
Well, you need not search anymore because you have finally arrived on the right page! Teezab.com.ng will always give you the best and correct information!
The syllabus is the easiest and convenient way to get relevant information regarding each subject’s Objectives, Topics, Contents, Notes, and Recommended Textbooks.
I believe you are a smart one and that is why you are searching for the JAMB 2023 Use of English Syllabus for the UTME! So, be calm and read through!! Do not skip any part of this post as every single part of this post is essential for you to know if you wish to score high in this year’s UTME!
Well, without wasting much of your time, let’s dive into the real deal here! Here, you will find JAMB Syllabus for Use of English! Read through this post and you can also download the PDF!
Also, try to bookmark this page so you won’t miss out on any update!
You can also subscribe to our website by entering your email and clicking on subscribe button below! We will notify you anytime there is a new update!
JAMB Use of English Syllabus for 2023/2024 UTME [Read & Download PDF]
This is to Inform the general public most especially those that are going to participate in the 2023 Tertiary Matriculation Examination UTME that the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board JAMB has released the syllabus for Use of English for the 2023 UTME.
Hope you’ve checked the Subject Combination for your course? If not, please scroll up and check! It is very important so as not to choose wrongly because it might later affect you!
JAMB Use of English Syllabus for 2023 UTME
Try to get to the bottom of this post to see the JAMB recommended Textbook for Use of English! Get a Textbook and read! Also, try to make sure you practice JAMB Past Questions so as to familiarize yourself with the way JAMB sets questions! Hope you are noting those tips on how to get a high score in JAMB? YES! I know you are very smart!!!
Jamb Use of English Syllabus 2023/2024 General Objective.
The aim and objectives of the 2023/2024 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) syllabus is not only meant to give you guidelines but to make sure you gain admission this year.
- Communicate effectively in both written and spoken English;
- Have a sound linguistic basis for learning at the tertiary level.
Jamb Use of English Syllabus 2023/2024
1) Comprehension / Summary
(i) Each of the four passages to be set (one will be a cloze test) should reflect various disciplines and be about 400 words long.
(ii) Questions on passages will test the; following:
(a) Comprehension of the whole or part of each passage.
(b) Comprehension of words, phrases, clauses, sentences, figures of speech and idioms as used in the passages.
(c) Coherence and logical reasoning (deductions, inferences, etc)
(d) Synthesis of ideas from the passages
(2.1) Lexis and Structure
- clause and sentence patterns
- word classes and their functions
- mood, tense, aspect, number, agreement/concord, degree (positive, comparative and superlative) and question tags
- punctuation and spelling
- ordinary usage (words in their denotative or dictionary sense), figurative usage (expressions used in ways other than literal) and idiomatic usage (expressions whose meanings cannot be determined through a mere combination of individual words) are to be tested.
(2.2) Oral Forms
- Vowels (monophthongs and diphthongs
- Consonants (including clusters)
- Rhymes (homophones)
- Stress (word, sentence and emphatic)
Jamb Use of English Syllabus 2023/2024 Recommended Textbook
- Attah, M. O. (2013) Practice in Spoken English for Intermediate and Advanced Learners, Maiduguri: University of Maiduguri Press
- Bamgbose, A. (2002) English Lexis and Structure for Senior Secondary Schools and colleges (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Banjo, A. et al (2004) New Oxford Secondary English Course Book Six for Senior Secondary Schools, Ibadan: UP Plc.
- Caesar, O. J. (2003) Essential Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Lagos: Tonad Publishers Limited
- Daniel Jones (2011) Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
- Egbe, D. I (1996) Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills, Lagos: Tisons
- Elugbe, B. (2000) Oral English for Schools and Colleges, Ibadan: Heinemann
- Grant, N. J. H, Nnamonu, S. Jowitt, D. (1998) Senior English Project 3, (New Edition) Harlow: Longman
- Idowu, O. O, Sogbeson, T. S, Adofo, A. K. Burgess, D. F and Burgess, L. J. (1998) Round-up English: A Complete Guide, Lagos: Longman
- Idris, U. (2001) Oral English at Your Fingertips for Schools and Colleges, Lagos, M. Youngbrain Publishers
- Igiligi, E. C. and Ogenyi, S. O. (2010) Grammar and Composition in the G.S.M. Age, Enugu: Joe Hills Production Services
- Jauro, L. B. (2013) Oral English for Schools and Colleges: A teaching and Learning Approach, Yola: Paraclete Publishers.
- Nnamonu, S. and Jowitt, D. (1989) Common Errors in English, Lagos: Longman
- Obinna, M. F. (2001) University Matriculation Use of English,(Fourth Edition) Port Harcourt: Sunray Books Limited
- Ogunsanwo, O. Duruaku, A. B.C, Ezechukwu, J and Nwachukwu, U. I (2005) Countdown English Language, (Revised Edition), Ibadan: Evans
- Olatoye, S. (2006) The Silent Teacher, Ado-Ekiti: Segun and Sons Enterprises
- Oluikpe, B. O. A, nnaemeka, B. A, Obah, T. Y, Otagburuagu, E. J. Onuigbo, S. and Ogbonna, E. A. (1998) Intensive English for Senior Secondary School 3, Onitsha: Africana – FIRST Publisher.
- Tomori, S. H. O (2000) Objective Tests for School Certificate English: Practice in Lexis, Structure and Idiom (Reprinted Edition), Ibadan: Heinemann
- Ukwuegbu, C, Okoro, O., Idris, A. U., Okebukola, F. O. and Owokade, C. O. (2002) Catch-up English for SSCE/UME, Ibadan: Heinemann.
If you find this post – JAMB Syllabus 2023 UTME for English – helpful and informative, kindly use the share button below to share with your friends!
If you have any question to ask, please feel free to drop it in the comment box below! I will make sure to reply to you as soon as possible and I will also try my best to give you a reply that will be satisfactory!
Follow our Facebook page and we will keep you updated! Also, don’t forget to subscribe to our website by entering your email and clicking the subscribe button below!