Canada is a popular destination for Nigerians looking to travel, study, or work abroad. However, before you can travel to Canada, you will need to obtain a Canadian visa. The visa application process can be complex and time-consuming, but with the right guidance, it can be much easier. In this blog post, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to get a Canadian visa from Nigeria. We will cover the different types of visas available, the required documents, the online application process, and what to expect during the visa application process. Whether you are a student, a worker, or a tourist, this guide will help you navigate the Canadian visa application process and increase your chances of obtaining a visa.
Firstly, read the full guide on Canada visa application
Canada is a North American country with ten provinces and three territories extending from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean. After Russia, Canada is the second largest country. Blessed with a fascinating land mass, about 75,000 tourists visit Canada every year, making it the world’s most attractive tourist destination.
It is essential to firstly read about the documents required for a Canada visa from Nigeria.
Documents Required For Canada Visa In Nigeria
The following is a list of visa requirements:
- Passport (Valid for at least 6 months) (Valid for at least 6 months)
- Fill out the corresponding Canada form after downloading the Canada Checklist.
- Two coloured background photographs
- Proof of visa application fee (receipt) and, if applicable, bio-metric fee
- Recent bank statement demonstrating adequate funds for the duration of the trip. The bank statement cannot be older than three months.
- Itinerary for travel and flight reservation copy
- If applicable, a recent medical statement
- Previous passports with visa pages
- If married, a marriage certificate
- Invitation letter from host in Canada if invited
- Proof of ties in Nigeria (i.e. employment letter, investment, proof of businesses or assets and so on)
Minors under the age of 18 who travel alone must have a letter of authorization signed by both parents or legal guardians. If only one parent is traveling, a letter of authorization from the non-traveling parent or legal guardian is required.
If you are visiting family or traveling for business you will need an invitation letter detailing the nature of the visit. In addition, your host must include information about the length of your stay, the host person or nature of business, and your legal status in the letter.
How to Get Canada visa from Nigeria 2023
Let us now discuss how to apply for a Canadian visa in Nigeria.
- Download the Canada Checklist (IMM 5257), Visitor Form (IMM 5257), and Canada Family Form (IMM 5645).
- Fill out the application forms on the system correctly and print them out.
- Schedule a Canada biometric / submission appointment.
- Request and complete the VFS consent form. VFS is a third party authorized to collect applicants’ Canada visa applications and biometrics.
- Pay the visa fees in cash or online at the Canada submission center.
- For the offline process, submit your Canada application to VFS Global (Canada submission center) (paper application)
- If you choose the paper application, you must pay the service fee. At the center, you will be given a receipt with a unique tracking number that you can use to track the progress of your application online.
Now, let’s discuss Canada Online Visa Application in Nigeria.
Is there a Visa lottery in Canada? See the answer here!!!
Canada Online Visa Application
Submit your Canada visa application online to avoid service fees and paperwork.
Scan and upload all of your documents to the internet.
Application should be printed. After you have successfully paid for your application online, you must print out your Canada visa application.
Because you will not be required to bring your documents, applying online saves you time and money (no service fee). If you are unable to provide all of the required documents, a waiver form is available.
In addition to the items listed above, a copy of your data page, appointment slip, and biometric letter if you apply online.
It is essential to discuss Canada study permit in this post because most Nigerians are going to Canada to study.
Canada Study Permit
- Photo: Two passport photographs of yourself, dated and taken within the last six months, with your name printed on the back.
- Passport: Genuine Nigerian e-passport. Previous passport(s) showing travel history is essential.
- Acceptance Letter: Original and copy of Letter of Acceptance from your Canadian educational institute stating unconditional or conditional admission. You must demonstrate that you can meet the requirements for the course title and level of study, duration of study, and start date.
- Documents for Academic Purposes: Originals and duplicates of current academic standings (up to date transcripts). WAEC/SSCE/NECO results; post-secondary transcripts; all certificates and/or diplomas. You must provide proof of all current and previous education, including the street name and address of ALL previous educational institutions attended. Include a copy of your NYSC certificate, if applicable.
Moving forward on how to get a Canada visa from Nigeria. Proof of sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses for at least one year in Canada.
In addition to tuition, you should have at least CAD $10,000 set aside for living expenses. If a spouse or partner is accompanying the student, an additional CAD $4,000 is required, as well as CAD $3,000 for each accompanying child or other accompanying dependent. Examples of evidence include:
Original plus one copy of certified bank statement(s) or financial investments with past six month’s history including your submission month or ending one month prior.
You must also demonstrate a consistent source of funding for the duration of your academic program.
You may also submit financial documents pertaining to a valid pension plan, as well as proof of income from rental properties or stocks and bonds.
Tuition fees are not required at the time of application submission. After the Student application has been approved, proof of tuition payment may be required before a Visa is issued. Tuition, lodging and meal plans, and miscellaneous expenses are all included in the official fee schedule (medical insurance, books, memberships).
Original police clearance certificates were obtained from C.I.D Headquarters for the applicant and any accompanying family members over the age of 18. In addition, certificates are required for each country where they have spent more than 6 months since turning 18.
Letter of recommendation/sponsorship
From the person(s) who are providing you with financial assistance for your program. The letter must include their job title, occupation, relationship to you, number of dependents, and complete contact information.
Include proof of relationship if you are sponsoring an extended family member. Proof such as a family tree, photos, proof of prior financial support for your education up to the present, and other useful documents are acceptable.
If your employer intends to sponsor you, you must provide your employer’s contact information as well as the full street address of your business location.
Canadian Visa Processing Time
The Canadian visa takes quite a while for a decision to be reached. However, the waiting time is based on the type of visa and backlogs. A Canadian study visa could take as long as 16 weeks (4 months) and applications for a visitor visa takes an average of 72 days.
For more information on this, read about the Canada Visa Processing Time.
Wrapping Up how to Get Canada visa from Nigeria 2023/2024
I’m sure this content has addressed all the important information about getting Canada Visa from Nigeria. Neverthless, if you have any question you intend to ask don’t hesitate to use the comment section.
His Name is Tiamiyu Abdulbazeet Olawale. He is a student at the University of Ilorin studying Electrical and Electronics Engineering. He likes to give the latest updates about Nigeria and international institutions as he aims at helping people to lay their hands on the right information.